ENG 011/111: Wordplay Days

Posted: April 10, 2020 in Reading, Teaching
Tags: ,

Our Wordplay days in class gave us opportunities to build our word power, collaborate, and engage in creative problem solving. Now they offer us a way to forget our sense of isolation. I hope that games, whether table-top or digital, continue to lift your spirits.

With that hope in mind, I designed this assignment devoted to word games.

Directions:

Choose one of the options below, and post your response as a comment by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 17.

Option One:

1. Imagine that the first seven letters of your name (all first, or first plus part of last) are seven tiles on a Scrabble rack.
  2. Go to the Scrabble Dictionary, click the Scrabble Word Builder tab (to the right of Scrabble Dictionary), enter your seven letters, and click “Go.”
  3. Post a blog comment of twenty-five words or more that includes (1) the seven letters that you entered, (2) the number of playable words that you can spell with those letters, (3) at least one of the words in the list that was unfamiliar to you, and (4) the definition of the word.

Sample: Entering the first seven letters of my name, J-A-N-E-L-U-C, into the Scrabble Word Builder yields fifty-one playable words. Two that I wasn’t familiar with are fish: “alec,” a herring, and “luce,” a pike.

Option Two:

1. Reread the The New York Times article “New Scrabble Words Get the ‘OK’” that you read and summarized for February 7.
  2. Post a blog comment of twenty-five words or more that includes (1) one of the newly playable words, (2) its definition, and 3) whether the word was familiar to you.

Sample: The New York Times article “New Scrabble Words Get the ‘OK’” includes the newly playable word [insert word here], which was unfamiliar to me. [Insert word here] means [insert definition here].

Do not use the word “OK.” In other words, “OK” is not okay. It’s in the title of the article, and you already know its definition.

Let the play begin!

Remember to check your CVCC email and Blackboard regularly for updates and assignments.

Comments
  1. dclawson273 says:

Letters: D-A-K-O-T-A-C
    Possibilities Found: 43
    2 words I wasn’t familiar with: 1. AA-rough;cindery lava, ACTA- recorded proceedings

• janemlucas says:

Dakota, you replied to the blog post for my ENG 011/111 students. Reply to the one titled “ENG 242: Virtual Victorian Parlor Games.”

2. surbernick says:

The letters of my name that I used were N-I-C-S-U-R-B. They yielded 79 playable words. Three words I was not familiar with are snib: to latch, rin: to run or melt, and bruin: a bear.

3. I used the seven letters of my first name. They were M-A-D-I-S-O-N. When I entered them in the Scrabble Word Builder, I received one hundred fifty-nine results that could be played. There were many words that I didn’t know but the one that appealed to me the most was “adonis,” a handsome young man.

4. I used the first seven letters of my name. They were C-H-E-L-S-E-Y when I entered them in the scrabble word builder, I found fifty seven possibilities. There were a few words on the list that I didn’t know but the coolest one to me was “chyles” a digestive fluid.

5. marifer07 says:

I entered the first seven letters of my name. Which are F-E-R-N-A-N-D. I got sixty-five playable words. One of the playable words that stood out to me was “fern” which means a flowerless vascular plant.

6. dresendiz21 says:

In order to come up with my seven letters, I used D-I-A-N-A-R-E. When I keyed the letters in the scrabble word builder, it presented me with ninety-two possibilities. The words I found that were unknown to me were AI which is a three-toed sloth, an araneid which is a spider, and a ranid which is a large family of frogs.

7. The letters I have are P-A-R-K-E-R-B. When I typed in these letters it came up with 66 possibilities.one of the words that I found unfamiliar was the word aper, which means someone who copies the words or behavior of another.

8. ortizbella says:

I used the letters I, S, A, B, E, L, and, O. When I put them in the in the scrabble word builder, it presented me with one hundred and thirty five possibilities. The first word was BEAL, which is an infected sore. SOLA which is a swamp plant in India. BISE means a cold wind. Looking up these possibilities are kind of interesting.

9. Tyiaunna says:

The letters that I choose were T-Y-I-A-U-N-N. and when I put these in the scrabble word builder it came up with 49 possibilities. and one of the words that was unfamiliar to me was. the word ti which means the seventh tone of the diatonic musical scale.